.

Tuesday 13 May 2014

Cuillin Ridge Day03 - Sgùrr a'Mhadaidh

Walk Summary
Summit photo on Sgùrr a'Mhadaidh.
Today was the day I reached and experienced the limits of my comfort zone on the mountain. The highs and exhilaration of the previous 2 days had exhausted my adrenalin and maybe serotonin management to the point where I had to return to safer ground after the first summit. Could it be after 20 years since it was prescribed I am finally realising that I do need to take fluoxetine.
Despite assurances from the ML that I was doing fine and that I could be roped up for more of the ridge walking I just felt it was better for the group if I returned to the car from the next safe point rather than go on and be a burden further on in the walk. Big disappointment for me and I know the rest of the team, but while I have some regrets now know it was the correct decision at the time. As always the mountains will be there another day and I will be back for them. Only Munro for me today; Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh Two more for the rest of the group; Sgùrr a'Ghreadaidh & Sgùrr Sgurr na Banachdich.

Kendal Mountaineering Services blog page
If like me you are just the average hill walker with no climbing expertise and limited scrambling experience, but have set yourself the target to climb all the Munros. Have you thought about how you will reach the 11 Munros on the Cuillin Ridge, Isle of Skye. From what I have read and now seen you will have no chance unless you know an experienced climber with knowledge of the Cuillins. Iain Gallagher of Kendal Mountaineering Services is just such a man. He has a lifetime of mountaineering experience along with a detailed knowledge of the Cuillins including safe scrambling routes along with entry and exit routes to take the safest option whatever the conditions might be or indeed change whilst out on the hill.

I found his services on line and paid the £425 for one weeks accommodation and 4 days guided walking (scrambling and climbing) in the Cuillins. Excellent value. 4 days guided walking alone could cost you that much. This price really includes food as well, because each member of the group, including Iain, supply a home cooked meal each day, creating a brilliant atmosphere and get together at the end of the day with everyone else in the team.

Team is just what you are part of, supporting each other throughout the day ensuring each and every one of us reaches our own goals as well as at times extend outside your own comfort zone and edge of achievable limits.

A brilliant experience. No kickbacks or commissions, but I cannot recommend this trip highly enough and thank Iain most sincerely for enabling me to extend myself beyond limits I never thought possible. As I have read somewhere "you do not know your limits or what you are capable of achieving  until you start to venture beyond your limits."

Iain provided the opportunity and maintained the safe environment to do just that.

As well as taking copious amounts of photographs he also records the days events on his own blog to provide lasting memories of a trip of a lifetime. Here is his account of Day03 activities on the Cuillin Ridge - Sgurr A' Mhadaidh to Sgurr Na Banachdich 

Walk Statistics
Walk Date - 13 May 2014
Walkers - Iain Gallagher (ML Kendal Mountaineering Services), Steve Smith, Al Simpson, Helen McD, Don, Alison L
Accommodation - Carbost, Isle of Skye
Start Point - Off road parking opposite Glen Brittle Hut (NG 41170 21567)
Start Time - 09:20
Finish Point - Off road parking opposite Glen Brittle Hut (NG 41170 21567)
Finish Time - 19:10
Duration - 9hrs 50mins
Average pace - 0.72mph
Distance Walked - 7.06miles
Height Ascended - 1521.01metres

Other walks on this trip
2014
May
08th The Tyndrum Handful
11th Cuillin Ridge Day01 - Sgùrr nan Eag, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr & Sgùrr Alasdair
12th Cuillin Ridge Day02 - Sgùrr Mhic Choinnic

13th Cuillin Ridge Day03 - Sgùrr a'Mhadaidh
15th 
Cuillin Ridge Day04 - Sgùrr nan Gillean & Bruach na Frithe

18th Comb Moss

Peaks visited
Munro (282)
Sgùrr a'Mhadaidh (17)
Murdo (443)
Sgùrr a'Mhadaidh (25)
Corbett (221)
NONE
Graham (224)
NONE
Marilyn (1218S - 1552E,W&S))
NONE
Hump (2168S - 2976E,W&S)
NONE

Route
Our days route as plotted on my GPS tracklog.
Please do not think without the necessary experience or knowledge of The Cuillins this is the basis of a route you can tackle alone or even part of a determined group. The contours are simply too close together along with scree, outcrop, boulder and loose rock symbols so arbitrary, that plotting a route from your armchair or even on the ground are just too complex.

More Photographs
Near walks finish,
looking backalong Allt a' Choire Ghreadaidh. Corbett Top of Munro Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh - Sgùrr Thuilm in distance
Click on photograph to view slide-show
Managed my camera today on what is the best day for weather so far. Too bad I did not manage to complete all summits. 
Here are some photos taken by other members of group on summits I did not reach, apologies for no captions.




Sgurr Na Banachdich Summit.
Sgurr a Ghreadaidh Summit.



No comments:

Post a Comment